Carbon Capture Use or Storage (CCUS)
Approximately 70% of CO2 from cement production is generated from the chemical reactions (process emissions), the other 30% coming from the fuels (combustion emissions). The process emissions are difficult to reduce. We are therefore looking into ways to capture carbon and use it to make downstream products or transport it for storage in bespoke facilities, such as old gas fields.
Tarmac is supporting a wide range of projects. As part of CRH, we are a partner in the European Cement Research Academy cement carbon capture project
Tarmac is also a partner in LEILAC, Low Emissions Intensity Lime and Cement, a European Union Horizon 2020 project. This project aims to enable both cement and lime industries to reduce their emissions dramatically while retaining, or even increasing, international competitiveness. LEILAC involves developing a breakthrough calciner that can directly separate and capture 95% of the CO2 released from limestone when being transformed into clinker.